What Training is Needed For Driving a Bus?


Have you dreamed of driving a bus since you were a child? Did you look in awe at your local bus driver, and wish you were the one who was in charge of such a beautiful, big vehicle? Or perhaps you simply are looking to change careers and like the thought of being able to help others get around by working in the transportation industry. If so, then you are definitely not the only one.

Driving a bus is a very popular job still, and it is one that can be really rewarding. After all, every day thousands of people take a coach or bus to travel, from quick shopping trips to cross-country trips including international travel. They all need to have a good driver so that they make it safely to their destination. What do you need to do to become a business driver, and what type of training is necessary?

Licence Requirements

Like with any other type of HGV driving qualification, you need to obtain your Driver CPC qualification as the first step. That proves you understand the importance of being safe out on the roads and that you are capable of driving in the capacity of a professional. It involves practical and theory tests, and a large amount of basic training along with a couple of medical exams.

You can go here to find out more about Driver CPC. The Driver CPC provides you with a basic overall understanding of how to drive a large vehicle, as well as the safety issues surrounding them and how you can meet all of the regulations associated with HGV driving. That means when you have completed it, all you will need to have is a top-up. The Driver CPC proves you have the necessary professional competence. However, it doesn’t all you to legally and professionally drive an HGV. In order to do that, you will have to obtain a licence that is specific for the vehicle you are wanting to drive.

That is a Cat D licence for a bus. To make things even more complex, you will need to have a Cat B license as well. You need to do that first. Having a Cat B licence enables you to drive vehicles that are up to a Maximum Authorised Mass of 3,500kg, and a maximum of 8 passenger seats. So that means trailers and cars. From that point, you can take the Cat D licence, and that allows you to drive any bus that has over 8 passenger seats, and tracked vehicles as well (just in case you want to drive a tank). You can become a bus driver one you have those 3 licences.

Cat D Training

Cat D1 and D training are programmes that have been designed specifically to teach you how to drive minibuses and buses in a professional capacity. After you have obtained your Driver CPC qualification, you also will need to take a Cat D training course. You will learn the following in your Cat D training:

  • Regulations and rules of the road, especially as they relate to HGV’s
  • General fixtures and maintenance of buses and HGVs
  • Customer service skills
  • Everything regarding the safety of your passengers, yourself, and other people who share the road with you
  • Future sightedness and risk management
  • Driving skills, with practical skills and theory, and training to drive large, multi-seated vehicles

Once your training is complete, you will have the legal ability to drive all passenger vehicles that have over 8 seats, and you will be prepared to become a bus driver.

How Can I Train to Get a Cat D Licence?

Come talk to us! Here at Easy as HGV, we provide a broad range of various HGV training courses, which include the Driver CPC and Cat D courses for new drivers. We will help you get a crash course on driving large vehicles in general, and driving busses in particular. Also, our team will help you find your first bus driver job, giving the best start possible for your brand new career.

Leave A Reply